Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Embracing God's Purpose

"..they were but flesh, a wind that passes and does not return." Psalm 78:39 "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

So many things surround us in this life...and when I stop and spend time with Lord and listening to His voice I realize how distracted I can get. I want to number my days and make everyday count for the Lord. I want to be a blessing to Him. I want the things that I do to be eternal. I want to live for HIS purpose. But so many distractions! Many of the things that distract us aren't bad in of themselves; in fact, many of them are good things and blessings that God has given us. The issue comes when we put those things before the purpose that God has for us. Our time, our committments, our jobs, our success, our family many times naturally become priority before God's purpose and God's heart. What is God's heart? What is God's purpose for us? Or shall I ask a more appropriate question...What is God's purpose for Himself? You see, we as humans tend to think we are so important and that God's individual purpose for our individual lives is what we should focus on as we live for Him. But...is there something bigger than that? I believe there is and I also believe that He has revealed it in His Word. At our church, my pastor has been speaking on the house of God and that His purpose since the beginning of time has been His dwelling place. Tracing back through scripture, I see this very clearly. The tabernacle and the temple were the center of worship in the Old Testament. What does this picture in the old testament show us? Let the Word of God speak for itself...I am leaving some passages that will proclaim of the temple of God, the dwelling place of God, and His heart for it:
"I will build My church..." Matthew 16:18
"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up..." John 2:19
"However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands..." Acts 7:48
"...you are a temple of God..." 1Corinthians 3:16
"...that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith..." Ephesians 3:17
"...you are being built up a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ..." 1Peter 2:5
**Make all your days be unto the Lord...allow Him to use you everyday for His purpose!**

No comments: