Monday, September 14, 2009

A Call to Prayer

I know I keep writing about distractions, but I believe it is one of the most powerful tools of the enemy to keep us from living the will of God. May the Lord stir up the hearts of His people here and all over the world to pray...to pray that His glory may be seen all over the earth, that God would be exalted in the church, that the tactics of the enemy may be thwarted, that His Kingdom come and His will be done, that the islands and the coastlands would hear of the love of God come down from heaven, and that when Christ returns He WILL find faith on the earth. Amen! May the burdens of God's heart be placed on ours and that He will move His people to pray. Some powerful lyrics to a Jason Upton song called Teach Me How to Pray says,
"Mommy, I hear a baby crying
Help me, are the words she's implying.
Where've I been while my world has been dying?
Lord, teach me how to pray.
Daddy, I can hear Jesus crying.
Help me, are the words He's implying...
Am I sleeping while my Savior is dying?
Lord teach me how to pray..."
I cannot imagine how Jesus felt when He was struggling in the garden, asking His disciples to pray...and they slept. Their spirits were willing, but their flesh was weak. Centuries later, we find ourselves in the midst of a fierce battle that wars against the spirit and souls of people and are we falling asleep because our flesh is weak? Praise God we don't have to and we can fight the weakness of our own flesh! The power of the Holy Spirit within us can stregthen us and change our hearts to be mobilized for Him...but will we choose to be changed by God?
On the road to the cross a large crowd was following Jesus, crying and mourning for Him...and His response is astounding. Jesus says,"Daughters of Jerusalem, stop weeping for Me, but weep for yourselves and your children...For if they do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" John 23:28,31. Jesus is speaking directly to the Jewish people, their crucifying their own Savior, their blindness to the truth, and the scary future of their nation. But what implications can we draw from this passage to apply to us and our current condition in the world today? Can we possibly be witnessing a dry time for the church in America? Are we weeping over the church in prayer? What do you think?

"For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples."
Isaiah 56:7

No comments: